1st January 2015 – R22 will be banned from use.
It’s now time to consider your options with our R22 Audit.
What is R22 and why is it being phased out?
R22 is the refrigerant gas found in the majority of air conditioning equipment over 10 years old.
R22 is a hydrochlorofluorocarbon (HCFC) which can potentially cause ozone depletion if leaked into the atmosphere. In 2003 R22 was banned from use in newly manufactured air conditioning systems.
How does this affect you?
If your building uses air conditioning and it was installed before 2003 it is likely now at risk.
Organisations that fail to act risk site shutdown and or fines under EC Ozone Regulation No 1005/2009.
However, an estimated 750,000 units which run on R22 are still in use today. If you have an air conditioning system which relies on R22 it is essential that you have a plan in place to phase it our by the end of 2014!
R22 – your options
1. Switch to using clean ‘drop in’ refrigerants
These alternative gases are similar to R22 however they are much less harmful with zero ozone depletion potential.
- Minimal capital outlay
- Minimal short term disruption
- Not all manufacturers endorse the use of ‘drop in’ refrigerants
- Drop in refrigerants are costly
- Increased potential for breakdowns
- Availability of spare parts for R22 systems is decreasing – some are no longer available at all
- Running costs of R22 systems are up to 50% higher than new modern systems
- Energy usage and impact on the environment of R22 systems is far greater than modern systems
2. Replace technology (replace the indoor and outdoor units only, leaving existing wiring & pipework in place)
- Modern systems are up to 50% more energy efficient
- Running costs are therefore 50% lower
- Increased system reliability
- They run on clean energy and impact on the environment is significantly reduced
- Warranty periods reduce the cost of repairs
- Lower capital outlay than replacing the entire system (as pipework is recycled)
- Faster & less disruptive than replacing the whole system
- Initial capital outlay (although still cheaper than replacing the entire system)
- Notable short term disruption
- This option is not always possible and some systems will need to be completely replaced.
Complete Cooling Systems Ltd offer an R22 Audit to help owners understand why it makes perfet sense to replace ageing systems with those that are more energy efficient and controllable. We can help businesses to review their air conditioning systems and see if it really can make financial sense to replace their old equipment, whilst advocating the all round better use of energy.
If you would like any further information regarding our R22 Audit service please contact us now.
100% Tax Relief
The Enhanced Capital Allowance scheme is a key part of the Government’s programme to manage climate change and is designed to encourage businesses to invest in energy-saving equipment.
The scheme enables businesses to claim an ‘enhanced’ 100% capital allowance on investments In A rated energy-saving equipment during the first tax year. The size of the tax reduction depends on the cost of the investment.
Find out more about how you can save money at www.eca.gov.uk
Interest Free Loans
By switching to an efficient heat pump air conditioner your business could also qualify for an unsecured 100% cent interest-free loan from the Carbon Trust of between £3,000 and £400,000. The Carbon Trust estimates that energy savings will more than meet monthly repayments on the loan.
Why Choose Us?
- Free site survey and competitive pricing
- City & Guilds qualified, F-Gas Certified, and Health & Safety aware team of engineers
- We are REFCOM and Safe Contractor accredited (and working towards ISO 9001)
- Air Conditioning installation experts of all leading air conditioning brands backed by warranties of up to 5 years
- An honest, reliable service from a family managed company with a commitment to excellence
- We have over 29 years of solid trading history with a client base that stay with us year after year
- Our customers like to recommend us - view some of their recent testimonials!